WorldBank funded NEIAP Phase II to commence
[TamilNet, Thursday, 29 January 2004, 16:55 GMT]
The Phase II of the World Bank funded of the North East Irrigated Agricultural Project (NEIAP) would commence from October 2004 with an investment of S $70 million for a period of six years, NEIAP sources said. The preliminary preparatory work of the Phase II has been already started, sources said.
The second phase of the NEIAP will be implemented in the North East and adjoining districts of the province.
“The scope of the NEIAP Phase II would be to supplement and complement the Government’s poverty reduction strategy through better access of the poor and conflict affected people in the North East and the adjoining districts to get basic social and economic infrastructure services and support for production activities.
The objectives of the repeater programme would be “to help conflict-affected communities in the North-East province and adjoining areas to restore livelihoods and enhance agricultural and other production and incomes and build their capacity for sustainable social and economic reintegration," said NEIAP sources.
At a workshop held in this regard with the participation of experts on various fields recently following proposals were submitted for the implementation of the NEIAP phase II project: -
- Creation of sustainable social and economic infrastructures
- Extension of sustainable Livelihood Support Assistance
- Alleviation of poverty and uplift the permanent income
- level and standard of living of the people
- Resettlement of the displaced people
- Enhancing the dwelling facilities of the people
- Creation of more job opportunities
Li> Enhancing the talents and efficiency of the rural level institutions and Government Departments
- Increase the number of focal villages
- Rehabilitation of two major irrigation schemes.