Habeas Corpus cases stall in Jaffna Courts

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 16 May 2007, 02:12 GMT]
Legal cases dealing with writs of Habeas Corpus filed by family members of youths abducted and missing since 1996 have difficulty proceeding as witnesses are terrified to testify against the members of Sri Lanka Armed forces, legal sources in Jaffna said. Corporal Rajapakse, the main accused in Krishanthi murder case and Chemma'ni mass killings was produced in Jaffna High Courts Monday and Tuesday before Magistrate, R. T. Wicknarajah.

Habeas Corpus writs filed in Jaffna High court in the cases of 25 civilians who disappeared at Kaithadi and Naavatku'li in Thenmaraadchi, were taken up for preliminary trial at Chaavakachcheari District Courts and the Magistrate had found evidence of Sri Lanka Army (SLA) involvement.

The above cases taken up by Jaffna High Court Magistrate Monday and Tuesday but were postponed as witnesses failed to appear, legal sources in Jaffna said.

Five cases were taken for trial Monday, six Tuesday and six more will be taken up Thursday. Attorney-at-law Mr. Remedius appeared on behalf of the petitioners.

Authorities of Sri Lanka Armed forces involved in these cases had earlier requested Jaffna courts to transfer the cases to Anuradapura.


Related Articles:
21.04.07   SLA asks court to transfer Chemmani case to Anuradhapura

 

Latest 15 Reports
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=22169