Trinco to observe Hartal against anti-peace elements
[TamilNet, Saturday, 23 August 2003, 15:44 GMT]
Trincomalee Resurgence Tamil Community (TRTC), a socially active Tamil organization, has called on the Tamil speaking people in the Trincomalee district to observe a one day general shut down (hartal) on Monday to show their opposition to anti-peace elements who are bent on derailing the present peace process, sources said.
Exerpts from a statement issued by the TRTC Saturday under the caption “Thwart sabotage attempt -Take forward the peace process," follow:
”It is the duty of every Tamil speaking person in the country to thwart all attempts by anti-peace elements to sabotage the peace process now being taken forward by the Government of Sri Lanka and the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.”
“The one day general shut down in the Trincomalee district is to be held on Monday-
- To reiterate that the present peace process can be continued by establishing the interim administrative structure as demanded by the LTTE who have been accepted by the Tamil people as their sole representative,
- To condemn the opportunist elements which are bent on adopting a divide and rule policy among Tamil speaking people with the backing of international elements thereby sabotaging the present peace process,
- To condemn the establishment of unauthorized Sinhalese settlements in traditional homeland of Tamil speaking people utilizing the present peace environment,
- To condemn the recruitment of police personnel by the government for the east province which would cause immense harm to national harmony,
- To condemn President Ms Chandrika’s attempt to de-merge the northeast province and
- To condemn the atrocities now being unleashed against Tamils by the security forces."