Kilinochchi court extends remand for Sri Lanka policemen

[TamilNet, Monday, 14 November 2005, 13:00 GMT]
Tamil Eelam district court, Kilinochchi ordered further remand for three Sri Lankan policemen until 28 November. Prosecution assured the Court there was progress in investigations and that evidence was emerging that the accuesd entered Tamil eelam areas for purposes other than trying to arrest a child molester as was earlier claimed by the defendents. The case was taken up before District Judge Sathana, Monday, 14 November at 12.30 pm when bail was denied.

Soldiers arrested on espionage charges
P.Bhavani, Inspector of Police, Tamil Eelam argued that investigations so far were leading towards identifying the detainees as belonging to a team of sharp shooters assembled by the Sri lankan Armed Forces to penetrate Tamil Eelam areas with hit-lists.

K.A.D. Sarath, B.W.Bopetigoda and W.G.D.S. Hemantha, all in their thirties and claiming to belong the Sri Lankan Police, were arrested while in hiding in the LTTE controlled area on 10 September and were charged originally for entering Tamil Eelam without prior permission.

Because of the conflicting confessions from the arrested Tamil Eelam Police decided to conduct proper investigations and had them remanded.

Despite the Defence Attorney Velavar's plea for bail, the Police argued that as it involved safety and protection of Tamil Eelam, the detainees need to be questioned further.

The attorneys for prosecution and defence including the detainees were summoned to the Judge's chambers where after discussions, request for further remand was upheld and the Police were requested by the Judge to expedite investigations.

The three policemen from Sri Lanka pleaded they had crossed the border to arrest a culprit absconding justice in sri Lanka.

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=16324