Massacre Suspects Released on Bail

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 24 June 1998, 23:59 GMT]
Eighteen suspects in the Thampalagamam massacre in which eight civilians were killed on february 1, were granted bail by Trincomalee High Court judge A. N. Ramachandran on Monday partly because the State had not filed a plaint against them for the past three months.

In his order the Judge said he was using the Court's discretionary powers to grant bail after taking into consideration that 21 of the original 42 suspects had been granted bail already by the Trincomalee Magistrate Court and that the Attorney General had failed to file a plaint against the remaining suspects.

Each suspect was released on Rs 50,000 cash bail and Rs 25,000 surety bail and asked to report to the police station in the area of his residence every Sunday between 9:00 and 12:00 a.m.

The order also strictly prohibited the suspects, which comprise policemen and home-guards, from moving around in the Thambalakamam and Kanthalai areas or having any contacts with witnesses in the case.

On earlier occasions when this matter came up for trial in the High Court, lawyers appearing for the 22 suspects who had not been given bail by the Magistrate Court, submitted applications for bail.

However, applications for bail were rejected on objections made by the prosecuting state counsel that suspects in a murder case should not be released on bail because they could intimidate witnesses.

However the High Court accepted the bail application of one suspect last month on the grounds that he was mentally ill.

(Correction: It was reported in the TamilNet earlier that 15 civilians were massacred in the incident. However, it has been revealed that 8 civilians were killed in the incident.)


Related Articles:
19.05.98   Massacre suspects granted bail
02.02.98   Protests over police massacre

 

Latest 15 Reports
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
06.01.21 14:26  
Indian Minister of External Affairs Jaishankar trades off Tamils’ sovereign rights
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=1674