Ethnic cleansing in the estates

[TamilNet, Monday, 14 September 1998, 21:41 GMT]
Tamil areas in the estate sector of the Ratnapura district were tense again today following the murder of a Tamil labourer from the Horamulla estate in the Rakkuwana division. The labourer, identified as Nehru, 38 was burnt to death this afternoon.

Trade union leaders in the area dismissed the Police's claim that the man was drunk and had accidentally caught fire.

Security in the Maathambai No.3 estate, Obadagama and storekada estates has been stepped up following the developments this afternoon.

Meanwhile Sinhala owned lorries and other vehicles which had gone for business purposes to Bogawantalawa in the Nuwara Eliya district were turned back by angry Tamil estate workers said a Ceylon Workers' Congress (CWC) spokesman this evening.

The CWC MP for Ratnapura Mr. A.M.D Rajan gave the following assessment this evening of the carnage in the Tamil settlements in the estates of hiselectorate.

1. Alupola estate, Wewelwatta division: all the line rooms (workers' family quarters), 80 huts and 12 Tamil shops set on fire and completely burnt out. 200 hundred families are currently sheltered in the estate factory.

2. Galaboda estate Galkandura division: 2 official residences and 6 line rooms completely destroyed by fire. Five persons were rescued with burns. The condition of three others is serious.

3. Wellawala division: 13 line rooms smashed up. 124 families rendered homeless.

4. Balangoda, Egaslanda estate: all line rooms smashed and belongings of workers set on fire. 72 families rendered destitute.

5. Raasagala estate, all line rooms wrecked by Sinhala mobs which set all the belongings of workers on fire. 36 families are homeless here.

6. Thikkumukkalana estate: 75 families rendered destitute.

7. Panagoda estate: all line rooms set on fire and destroyed. 96 families are refugees.

Meanwhile, informed Tamil trade union leaders said that 1500 families who had sought refuge in the Egaslanda (Wewelwatta) have not been supplied so far with any rations since the pogrom began.

A Non Governmental Organisation that took food for them was turned back by Sinhala thugs today they said.


Related Articles:
12.09.98   Tamil labour settlement attacked
10.09.98   Line rooms torched

 

Latest 15 Reports
04.02.24 15:40   Photo
சியோனிசம் காணும் தோல்வி ஈழத்தமிழருக்குப் பலன் தரவல்ல படிமை மாற்றத்தின் அறிகுறி
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=2036