Amnesty seeks safety guarantees

[TamilNet, Friday, 30 October 1998, 00:08 GMT]
Amnesty International, the London based human rights organisation said today that the Sri Lankan government "must guarantee" the safety of forensic experts to enable international observers to participate in the exhumations of the alleged mass graves at Chemmani.

In a press release issued today, Amnesty welcomed the Sri Lankan Attorney General's invitation to send a forensic expert to observe the exhumations at Chemmani, Jaffna.

However, Amnesty warned the operation "was being held up by the government's failure so far to provide assurances of full cooperation and security for all those participating in the exhumations".

Amnesty said it had recently met with the Attorney General and officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Defence, police and the government sponsored Human Rights Commission (HRC) regarding the pending exhumations.

The Attorney General had told Amnesty that "a lot of preparatory work had been done" and said that part of the delay was due to fears for the safety of local forensic experts and of the soldiers who are to point out the locations of the graves.

The soldiers had said to have given statements regarding the mass graves to the HRC. The HRC told Amnesty International that after finding the allegations of the soldiers to be credible, it had requested the United Nations (UN) for international experts to assist local forensic experts with the exhumations.

The HRC had then written to the Sri Lankan President seeking guaranteed protection for any foreign forensic officials, but had not yet received a response said Amnesty.

Amnesty International said it had also had discussions recently with a representative of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in London about the Chemmani mass graves and had sought assurances from the LTTE leadership for the safety of the forensic experts and others involved in the exhumations and investigations. These assurances are still awaited said Amnesty.

The Chemmani mass graves are believed to contain the bodies of between 300 and 400 Tamil people who disappeared after being arrested by the Sri Lanka Army in mid-1996.

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=2247