Court to reject FR petitions on Champoor HSZ

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 31 July 2007, 10:59 GMT]
The Sri Lanka's Supreme Court Monday directed the Registrar not to entertain any Fundamental Rights (FR) application against the gazette notification declaring Champoor and Moothoor east division as high security zones (HSZs). The three-member bench of the Supreme Court chaired by the Chief Justice Sarath Silva that heard submissions on the matter, issued this directive. Justices Rajah Fernando and Jagath Balapattebendi were other members of the bench, legal sources said.

President Counsel Kanag-Easwaran with a team of lawyers argued in support of the FR petitions filed by N.Suntharalingam, R.Nadarajah, S.Gopalakrishnan and P.Ratnasingham challenging the gazette notification declaring Champoor and Moothoor east as high security zones.

Deputy Solicitor General Mr.Yasantha Kottegoda appeared for the respondents Defence Minister Mahinda Rajapakse, Defence Secretary Gothabaya Rajapakse, Major General Parakrama Pannipitya, Eastern Commander of the SLA, Lt.General Sarath Fonseka, SLA Commander, Air Force Vice Marshal Roshan Gunatilake, Rear Admiral Wasantha Karanagoda, Commander of the Sri Lanka Navy, Inspector general of Police Victor Perera, Attorney General and Head of the Board of Investment of Sri Lanka.

The SC bench in its order said: "The court had already rejected the petition filed by the Centre for Policy Alternatives (CPA) and its Executive Director Dr.Paikiyasothy Saravanamuttu against the gazette notification declaring fifty percent of the area located in Moothoor divisional secretariat division including Moothoor east and Champoor. Now another fundamental rights violation petition has come up before this court. The court directs its Registrar not to entertain any more FR petitions in this regard.

"Those displaced should be resettled in their own lands and restart their trade and occupation. The government has already taken steps in this regard. The petitioners and others displaced from Moothoor and Champoor could make their applications with deeds for resettlement and restart their occupation to authorized officers concerned. The authorised officers would scrutinize all applications to find out whether the applicants are genuine residents or terrorists. Terrorists would not be allowed for resettlement. Applications should be sent to Major General Parakrama Pannipitya, SLA Commander for eastern region through Deputy Solicitor General Yasantha Kottegoda of the Attorney General Department."

 

Latest 15 Reports
04.02.24 15:40   Photo
சியோனிசம் காணும் தோல்வி ஈழத்தமிழருக்குப் பலன் தரவல்ல படிமை மாற்றத்தின் அறிகுறி
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=22879