Jaffna HSZ-located phone used for extortion threats

[TamilNet, Saturday, 20 October 2007, 05:29 GMT]
Several leading businessmen, editors, and directors of newspapers in Jaffna have made complains to Human Rights Commission (HRC), Sri Lanka Monitoring Mission (SLMM) and Jaffna magistrate, of receiving threats from a hand phone located in the High Security Zone (HSZ) of the Sri Lanka Army (SLA), sources in Jaffna said. The call had warned that failure to pay or reporting the matter to police or the magistrate would result in severe punishment, according to the complaints made, sources in Jaffna said.

The anonymous calls demanding money along with death threats were made during the last two days issue from a single hand phone in the SLA High Security Zone in Jaffna, the complainants said.

Fear and tension prevail among businessmen, media persons including editors and directors of newspapers in Jaffna peninsula.

Similar extortion and intimidation were made earlier in Jaffna peninsula to leading lawyers, doctors and intellectuals by SLA-backed paramilitaries in the peninsula.

Jaffna peninsula lawyers launched a peninsula wide boycott resulting in the assurance from the Jaffna SLA commander that he would take necessary action to curb the menace.

The affected persons say that the extortion and death threats by paramilitaries are carried out in collaboration of the SLA.

The calls of intimidation were made only after the disconnected hand phones in Jaffna peninsula began functioning, they said.

However, the SLA, while rejecting this accusation, maintains that the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) is responsible for the threats.

 

Latest 15 Reports
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=23564