Moothoor aid workers massacre inquiry put off for January 23

[TamilNet, Sunday, 02 December 2007, 18:22 GMT]
The Anuradhapura Magistrate Wasantha Jinadasa Wednesday directed the Criminal Investigation Department of the Sri Lankan Police to send the T-56 assault rifles of five home guards, who were in the Moothoor police station on the day when seventeen aid workers of the French NGO Internationale Contre la Faim (ACF) were shot dead last year, to be sent to the Government Analyst for examination. Earlier, the International Committee of Jurists (ICJ) and the ACF had questioned the credibility of ballistic examinations without an international observer.

The Magistrate said the case was referred to him only for preliminary inquiry and it would be referred to Moothoor court again for full inquiry. The inquiry was put off for January 23.

Mr Wasantha Jinadasa further ordered the CID to record the statements of personnel of the Sri Lanka Army and Sri Lanka Navy who were on duty in Moothoor town on that day.

The court made these instructions on an application by Attorney-at-Law K.S.Ratnavel who appeared on behalf of the aggrieved party.

Meanwhile CID Inspector Sanjaya Perera told court that investigation were underway to ascertain whether the misplaced firearms of the five home guards who were present in the area at that time of the crime and which were subsequently recovered were used in committing the killing of 17 aid workers.

The case came up in the Anuradhapura Magistrate court Wednesday. At the first instance after the crime the Moothoor Magistrate conducted the inquiry. Later the inquiry was transferred to Kantale Magistrate Court. Finally the Judicial Services Commission transferred the case to be heard in the Anuradhapura court.


Related Articles:
15.08.07   Sri Lanka: ‘Holmes is a terrorist’


Chronology:

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=23913