Court orders enhanced security to Mano Ganeshan

[TamilNet, Friday, 15 February 2008, 11:57 GMT]
Sri Lanka's Court of Appeal Thursday made an interim order directing the defense authority to immediately provide at least eight security personnel with a back-up vehicle to Mr.Mano Ganeshan, Colombo district parliamentarian and leader of Western Peoples Front. The petitioner was directed by the court to report and confirm on March 3 whether he had been provided with the security as ordered by the court.

The Court of Appeal comprised Justice K.Sri Pavan and Justice Rohini Perera made the interim order when the Fundamental Rights application filed by Mr.Mano Ganeshan came up for further inquiry. The Defense Secretary, Inspector General of Police and some senior police officers have been cited as respondents in the petition, legal sources said. The petitioner in his petition had begged court to order the defense authorities to provide security as at on December 18, legal sources said.

The State Counsel on the last date of inquiry informed court that the defense ministry was unable to provide more than seven security personnel and that also without a back-up vehicle. The respondent cited reason that more security personnel, are needed to beef up security in the Batticaloa district due to the forthcoming local election.

However, the Appeal Court told the State Counsel to positively consider the recommendation by the court.

Security of Mano Ganesan MP was reduced by the government along with those of late parliamentarian T. Maheswaran and SLMC leader Rauf Hakeem MP immediately after the budget voting in the parliament.

Ms. Hina Jillani, special representative of the UN sectary general for the defense of the human rights defenders had expressed her deep concern over the reduction of security to Mano Ganesan and had said in her letter to the government saying that "She is concerned for the life and security of Mr. Ganesan, which is more at risk without adequate security. The security reduction to Ganesan is linked to his high profile work against human rights violations and may be an attempt to curtail his HR work."

Ganesan won the runner up award for his human rights campaign from the US department of state. Secretary of state Condeliza Rice made the relevant announcement in last December on the international human rights day December 10th.


Chronology:

 

Latest 15 Reports
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=24659