Delay in issue of text books affects education in Jaffna

[TamilNet, Thursday, 21 February 2008, 05:47 GMT]
Nearly half the student population in Jaffna peninsula schools is yet to receive their free text books from the Sri Lanka government although nearly two months of the first school term have elapsed, educational society sources in Jaffna said. The Jaffna Department of Education has requested the Northern Province Governor to take steps to expedite distribution of free text books.

So far only 53% of the students in Jaffna schools have been issued the free text books while the rest 47% are using old books from last year students, a provisional arrangement made by the Education Department.

Only 30% of the text books for grades seven and eleven have been issued.

The educational progress of grade eleven students sitting for the G.C.E. O level examination in December 2008 is affected by the lack of text books, education officials said.

Though the Ministry of Education and higher circles in government continue to issue statements that the text books for the students of Jaffna peninsula have been shipped from Colombo, nearly half of them have not received their text books.

The revised editions and work books issued periodically by the Ministry of Education and issued to students in other provinces do not reach the students in Jaffna peninsula, they added.

The educational activities in Jaffna peninsula schools will face severe drawback if the situation is not immediately remedied, they pointed out.

 

Latest 15 Reports
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
06.01.21 14:26  
Indian Minister of External Affairs Jaishankar trades off Tamils’ sovereign rights
05.01.21 07:08  
TNPF's reluctance, NGO-meddling pose challenges to formulating joint Tamil demands to UN: Shivaji
06.12.20 15:44   Photo
Colombo’s brutal suppression of Tamil Heroes’ Day counter-productive to stated objectives: Tamil MP
27.11.20 16:44   Photo
Occupied Tamil Eelam marks Heroes' Day indoors, SL military detains seminary principal
16.11.20 18:45  
China launches world’s biggest regional trade agreement without Indian participation
31.10.20 10:58  
Tamils risk Kashmir-like status revocation if Gota continues Trinco military cooperation with US
06.10.20 11:40  
Poet Pulamaipithan who championed Tamil Eelam solidarity in Tamil Nadu turns 85
28.09.20 23:19   Photo
Muslims join Tamils opposing Colombo's suppression of Thileepan Remembrance in North
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=24716