Food relief for 55,000

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 16 December 1998, 19:10 GMT]
The Sri Lankan Commissioner General of Essential Services, N.Obadage has ordered that food relief assistance be provided to another 55,000 displaced persons in the Vanni area from December 1, the Vavuniya Government Agent, K.Ganesh said today.

This fresh order has been issued following Mr. Obadage's visit last week to the areas controlled by the LTTE.

A total of 60,000 displaced persons belonging to 14,635 families in Kilinochchi district would benefit from the new order.

At present 40,000 persons belonging to 8889 families are issued with relief food assistance there.

In the Mullaithivu district, 60,000 persons of 13,333 families are issued with food relief. This has been increased to 21,952 families, a total number of 90,000 displaced persons.

Meanwhile, in Vavuniya district, a total of 30,000 displaced persons will be issued with food relief assistance. Earlier 25,000 persons belonging to 5556 displaced families were given the assistance.

Last July the Sri Lankan Government introduced severe reductions in the food relief assistance to the displaced people in the Vanni.

Thousands of displaced people have been staging various demonstrations since the announcement of the relief cuts since. Large processions, signature and fasting campaigns were organised throughout the Vanni.

People have also submitted memorandums to the President, Chandrika Kumaratunga, the Secretary General of the United Nations and to diplomatic missions in Colombo.

The Government Agents in Kilinochchi, Mullaithivu, Mannar and Vavuniya have been requesting the Sri Lankan Government to send a team of officials to assess for themselves the critical situation in the Vanni.

Last week, both N.Obadage, Commissioner General of Essential Services (CGES) and chairman of Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority for North (RRAN) and Dr.David Ratnavel, chairman of the Presidential Task Force of Human Disaster Management conducted a two-day visit on a fact finding mission to the Vanni region held by the Liberation Tigers.

The officials returned to Colombo last Friday.


Related Articles:
12.12.98   Government officials return from Vanni

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=2503