Jury deadlocked in Miami terror case retrial

[TamilNet, Saturday, 12 April 2008, 16:35 GMT]
"Just like the first trial [which resulted in one of seven defendants being acquitted, and a mistrial was declared for the other six in December 2007], a jury is at a complete stalemate in the case against six men accused of scheming to destroy the Sears Tower in Chicago and bomb FBI offices in Miami and elsewhere," the Washington Post reported Saturday. The jury was told to continue deliberating.

The jury of seven men and six women said Friday in a note that they cannot agree on a verdict after 10 days of deliberations.

"We are unable to come to a unanimous decision on any of the counts for all of the defendants," the note read, according to the paper.

U.S. District Judge Joan Lenard ordered the jurors to return again Monday. If the impasse continues, she likely would issue a formal "Allen charge" directive telling jurors they have a duty to reach verdicts if reasonably possible - meaning deliberations may last well into next week, the Post said.

The prospect the second trial would end like the first loomed large as deliberations dragged on, the paper opined, commenting that if there is a mistrial, the Justice Department would have to decide whether to try the men a third time, drop the case entirely - unlikely in any terrorism matter - or file a new indictment against some or all of the men.

Jeffrey Harris, a Fort Lauderdale criminal defense attorney not involved in the case, after the first mistrial commented that a hung jury usually helps defense lawyers, who can prepare to retry the case knowing all the government's evidence.

Defense lawyers had earlier contended that the informant and an overzealous FBI were responsible for pushing the alleged conspiracy along. "This was all written, directed and produced by the FBI,'' defense attorney Albert Levin was quoted as saying by Florida daily, Sun-sentinel in December after the mistrial verdict.


Chronology:


External Links:
Wiki: Allen charge

 

Latest 15 Reports
24.08.19 02:22  
Tamil representatives urged to boycott OMP office opening in Jaffna
24.08.19 00:04   Photo
Despite ending Emergency, Sirisena keeps SL military empowered with police powers
23.08.19 07:04  
SL Forest Department remains unmoved by uprooted Tamils’ demand for resettlement
22.08.19 06:50  
40 parents of missing persons die within 915 days of protest
21.08.19 18:17   Photo
‘Death certificates’ issued to 500 of 3,500 Tamils subjected to enforced disappearance in Ampaa'rai
20.08.19 20:23  
Wigneswaran warns of bleak future for Tamils, urges planning for next step
19.08.19 19:23   Photo
IC sheds crocodile tears over Shavendra appointment, US engages with his war-time chief
18.08.19 23:50   Photo
SL TID detains outspoken Tamil doctor at Pazhai hospital
17.08.19 23:08   Photo
SLA Jaffna commander refuses to release Palaali lands at meeting presided by Wickramasinghe
16.08.19 13:25   Photo
SL Archaeology Department resumes plans to construct controversial ‘chaitya’ at Koonith-theevu
15.08.19 21:39  
Wickramasinghe lacks courage to meet protesting Tamil mothers in North
14.08.19 23:31   Photo
2006 genocidal massacre at Chengchoalai campus marked in Vanni, Jaffna amidst PTA-threats
13.08.19 17:45   Photo
Tamil awareness urged on geopolitics-driven genocidal ‘development’ in Mannaar
12.08.19 20:04   Photo
Percival's 19th century Tamil proverb compilations collated and sorted in new publication
11.08.19 20:32   Photo
PTA-threats against constructing memorial arch for student victims of 2006 aerial massacre
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=25293