Interim report on disappearances submitted

[TamilNet, Monday, 04 January 1999, 18:25 GMT]
The Presidential Commission on Disappearances submitted an interim report to the President, giving its observations and recommendations based on its investigations since June last year.

The Commission received over 10,135 complaints for inquiry. A bulk of these complaints are from the Central Province, said M.C.M.Iqbal, the Secretary to the Commission, in a press release today.

The Commission has received 460 complaints from the Jaffna district. Most of the complainants in these complaints could not be contacted despite attempts made through the ICRC with the assistance of the GA of Jaffna, as they are now not the at the addresses given in their complaints, the release said.

The Secretary to the Commission said that steps are being taken to trace them before the Commission proceeds to Jaffna to inquire into these complaints.

This Commission had sittings in Trincomalee and Batticaloa.

It is reported that 18,136 have applied for death certificates in respect of disappearances, availing themselves of the facilities provided by the Registration of Deaths (Temporary Provisions) Act. This Act was amended recently enabling death certificates to be obtained based on the findings of Disappearances Commissions and making it possible for displaced complainants to register deaths at the office of the Divisional Secretary of the area in which they reside now.

Officials of the Relief and Rehabilitation Authority said the Authority had so far expended a sum of Rs.256 million to pay compensation to 7553 applications. The remaining applications are to be paid compensation during the coming years the added.

This Interim Report contains a list of about 100 cases that have been filed in the High Courts and the Magistrates Courts against those responsible for disappearances, a list of persons who have received compensation and a list of persons whose disappearances have been confirmed.

There are 7560 complaints to be listed for inquiry and the term of this Commission has been extended till the end of April 1999, the press release said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
04.02.24 15:40   Photo
சியோனிசம் காணும் தோல்வி ஈழத்தமிழருக்குப் பலன் தரவல்ல படிமை மாற்றத்தின் அறிகுறி
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=2606