2ND LEAD

Sri Lanka continues air strikes violating own announcement - Puleedevan

[TamilNet, Monday, 27 April 2009, 07:45 GMT]
Two Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF) fighter bombers continued to bomb civilian targets in Mu'l'li-vaaykkaal after the announcement by the Sri Lankan forces that it would not deploy heavy weapons or carry out air attacks as pressure mounted from the International Community. LTTE's Director of Peace Seceratariat, S. Puleedevan, when contacted by TamilNet told that SLAF bombers were attacking civilian targets at Mu'l'li-vaaykkaal at 12:50 p.m. and again at 1:10 p.m. despite the announcement to cease such attacks. He blamed Colombo for "attempting to deceive the International Community, including the people of Tamil Nadu," with the announcement.

S. Puleedevan, Director of LTTE's Peace Secretariat
S. Puleedevan, Director of LTTE's Peace Secretariat
The SLA was also continuing to fire shells into the civilian zone while engaging the troops to continue to mount ground operations at Valaignar-madam, he charged.

The Associated Press reported earlier that the Sri Lankan government had announced that its troops would "no longer use heavy machine guns, air strikes or artillery" in the battle as the government of Sri Lanka concluded that "combat operations had reached their conclusion."

The area has been surrounded by thousands of SLA troops that are prepared to enter the area for an onslaught.

Commenting on the latest developments, an ex-militant based in Colombo said Sri Lankan military no longer needed air attacks, MBRL or artillery fire to carry on the onslaught as the announcement didn't say that it would not be using heavy mortar fire, RPG fire and the deployment of tanks as it would continue to engage its ground forces in the combat, questioning how Mahinda Rajapaksa, the Commander-in-Chief of the Sri Lankan armed forces defines the term 'heavy weapons'.

Sri Lankan forces launched a ground offensive around 3:30 a.m. Monday aiming to enter the remaining area of the so-called safety zone, an area comprising 8 square kilometres, which is under siege by the Sri Lankan military.


Chronology:

 

Latest 15 Reports
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
06.01.21 14:26  
Indian Minister of External Affairs Jaishankar trades off Tamils’ sovereign rights
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=29193