Manhunt follows rape attack

[TamilNet, Monday, 22 February 1999, 22:52 GMT]
Two young men were remanded till March 5 by the Mannar district magistrate today, on charges of participating in the gang rape of a young girl, sources said.

An eighteen year old girl of Vairavar Kovil area in the Mannar town had been kidnapped by four young men when she went to the temple to see the Sivarathiri festival on February 14.

According to the complaint she had made to Mannar hospital she had been taken to the New Bright Tution Centre in the Iron Theatre area in the town itself, and had been gang raped, after her hands and legs were tied and a piece of cloth was stuffed into her mouth.

The victim had said in her complaint to the Police that the suspects had tried to strangle her and she had passed out and she did not know what had happened.

The Police recorded her statement after the DMO of Mannar made a complaint about attack.

Gayas Feldano, the acting magistrate of Mannar had ordered the police to remand a young man suspected of involvement, whom they had arrested on February 20.

Another suspect who was arrested by the Police was produced before the Mannar magistate today. The magistrate ordered the Police to remand him until March 5.

He also ordered the Police to take immediate action to arrest 3 more suspects who were named by the other two and produce them before the courts. The Police told the courts today that the parents of the 3 suspects said that they had been missing from home for the past week.

The magistrate gave instructions to the OIC of the Travel Pass Issuing Office in Mannar not to issue travel documents to the absconding 3 suspects.

He also appealed to the public to come forward with any information concerning the suspects and the incident.

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=2926