Access route to be opened on Sunday

[TamilNet, Thursday, 05 August 1999, 12:17 GMT]
The movement of civilians and food between the LTTE controlled areas of the Vanni and SLA controlled areas is set to resume on Sunday August 8, said government officials in Vavuniya today.

The announcement follows an agreement by both sides to open up an access route to the LTTE controlled areas of the Vanni along the Vavuniya Kilinochchi trunk road (A9), said sources.

Officials said that de-mining activities along both sides of the route would commence tomorrow and continue until Saturday with ICRC officials present on both sides.

About 2500 people stranded in the SLA controlled areas and 200 people stranded in the LTTE controlled areas will be able to cross through the proposed access route, officials said.

About six truck loads of food will be sent along with the civilians on Sunday, officials said.

ganesh_k_230799.jpgK.Ganesh, the Government Agent for Vavuniya met Major General Lionel Balegalle, the Vanni security forces commander, to discuss the logistics of resuming the transport of food and civilians between the two areas.

R.Tharmakulasingam, the Government Agent for Mullaitivu, who arrived in Vavuniya this morning via Mannar also, participated in the meeting.

The access route to the Vanni through the Mannar region was closed on June 26 during a military operation in the area.

The SLA had earlier proposed the establishment of a 5 km. long demilitarised zone first on the Mankulam-Kilinochchi road and then on the Mankulam-Thunukkai road.

The Liberation Tigers had rejected the proposals, saying it was too risky for them to dismantle their defences and withdraw five miles from their present forward defence lines.

On August 4 the LTTE agreed to a demilitarised zone on the A9 highway near Mankulam between the present forward defences of the LTTE and the Sri Lanka Army (SLA).

The closure of the route led to widespread food shortages in the LTTE controlled areas of the Vanni.

rasanayagam_t_260799.jpgThe issue received greater attention after the publication of Government agent reports from LTTE controlled areas warning of the crisis that was looming due to the shortage of food.

It was then reported that the government had decided to transfer the agents for Mullaitivu, R. Tharmakulasingham, and Kilinochchi, T. Rasanayagam, out of the area.

The reason for their transfer were not known although unconfirmed reports from the time suggested that military officials might be appointed to their posts.


Related Articles:
04.08.99   Safe passage can be opened next week -Balagalle
03.08.99   LTTE agrees Vanni access point

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=3724