Most Vavuniya stranded back home

[TamilNet, Friday, 13 August 1999, 20:04 GMT]
The arrangements to return the people from the Vanni who became stranded in Vavuniya and Mannar due to the closure of the access route to the Vanni will conclude on Monday August 16, said sources.

K.Ganesh, Government Agent in Vavuniya said today that so far, 2488 people out of those stranded in the northern town of Vavuniya have returned to their homes in areas held by the LTTE through the new access point at Mankulam.

He said another 600 people will travel to the Vanni tomorrow and there will be no movement of people or vehicles on Sunday.

He further said that the 279 stranded people who have come from Mannar the western port town would be sent to their homes on Monday.

As yet, there have been no travellers from the Vanni to Vavuniya and Sri Lankan security sources said that they expected people to travel out from the Vanni on Monday.

Officials said that from next week, the movements of NGO vehicles, food convoys and mail service will be allowed only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Civilians will be allowed to cross on 5 days of a week, from Monday to Friday.

Movements would not be permitted during the weekends or on public holidays.

However, there are no restrictions on the ambulance service the officials added.

Meanwhile the Voice of Tigers (VoT) radio said in its night news bulletin today that 41 vital drugs needed by seriously ill patients in Vanni hospitals are not available in the stores of the Department of Health at Kilinochchi.

The shortage of drugs has exacerbated the suffering of patients suffering from malaria and other diseases, the radio said.

Although an access point has been opened, drugs for Vanni hospitals have not gone through as yet, said sources in Vavuniya today.

The Vavuniya GA meanwhile said that arrangements are underway to allow 30 food lorries a day into the Vanni, commencing next Wednesday.


Related Articles:
10.08.99   Views of Vanni crossing
09.08.99   Travellers use new access route

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=3771