Excavation of Mannaar mass grave resumes, media access restored

[TamilNet, Monday, 20 August 2018, 23:02 GMT]
Sixty-six human skeletons, including children and women, have been spotted so far and fifty-six of the skeletal remains have been exhumed, said journalists who accessed the site of mass grave excavations at the premises of the premises of former CWE building in the city of Mannaar on Monday. The excavation had been suspended for a few days due to the annual feast at Madu church. In the meantime, journalists in Mannaar have secured access to news coverage of the mass grave site.

The SL Magistrates’ Court in Mannaar prohibited media coverage at the request of the SL Police on 07 August.

Tamil journalists filed an appeal against the motion on 09 August and the Magistrate has reverted the previous decision and provided access to news coverage in the morning and the evening during the days of excavation.

However, the SL Police was attempting to block the journalists from covering the excavation citing the previous instruction from the Magistrate on Monday. The journalists had to document the annulment in writing in order to gain access to the mass grave site.

The SL Police headquarters in Colombo is trying to get the Magistrate to agree for a preliminary examination of the skeletal remains at the lab of a university in the South.

In the meantime, legal activists in Mannaar have warned the possibility of Sinhala Establishment in Colombo influencing and manipulating the preliminary results at the labs of SL State-run universities.

There is a concerted attempt on the part of the SL Police to influence the Justice system not to consider forensic analyses outside the island.

The SL Police hopes to achieve this by manipulating the preliminary test results to predate the time of the killings before the times of Eezham War II (1990), Tamil legal activists said.


Chronology:

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=39165