Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal

[TamilNet, Monday, 17 May 2021, 19:23 GMT]
SL President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and Commander of the SL Army, General Shavendra Silva, have deployed the occupying military to suppress the 12th collective Mu'l'ivaaykkaal Remembrance of Tamil Genocide at the sacred memorial site, said former councillor Ms Ananthy Sasitharan on Monday. She was talking to TamilNet after the SL military blocked her from entering Mullaiththeevu. The SL military was using Covid-19 as an excuse to shut down two divisions surrounding the memorial place. War criminal Silva, who commanded the notorious 58th Division that waged the genocidal onslaught in Vanni in May 2009, is now leading Colombo's Operation Centre for Preventing COVID-19 Outbreak in addition to being the commander of the SL Army. His military men were also responsible for destroying, desecrating the memorial lamp and removing the enormous memorial stone brought to Vanni from Jaffna on 12 May.



Former NPC Councillors Ananthi Sasitharan and the late Antony Jeyananthan were direct witnesses to the genocidal onslaught at Mu'l'livaaykkaal until its final days in May 2009.

Ananthi, who witnessed the handover of her husband to the occupying SL Army on 18 May 2009, has been continuously fighting against the SL State to reveal the whereabouts of her husband, Elilan.

Mr Elilan was an LTTE Political Wing leader. He was one of many ex-LTTE members who accompanied Fr Francis in the process of an organised handover in the captivity of the SL Army. The SL military had announced on 18 May 2009 that the families should hand over the members who had served in the LTTE. A general amnesty was accorded to all, including those who had served the LTTE even for a single day. The families that failed to do so would not see such amnesty provided to their members, according to the loudspeaker announcements made by the soldiers under the command of Shavendra Silva.

Shavendra Silva was one of the respondents in a habeas corpus case filed by Ms Ananthi in 2016.

On Monday, the SL military and the SL Police were blocking her from reaching Mu'l'livaaykkaal. Another former councillor and a veteran political leader of the Tamil Eelam Liberation Organisation (TELO) had managed to enter the desecrated Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial site and lit a candle earlier in the day, Ananthi Sasitharan told TamilNet.

She accused the SL military of using the Covid-19 as an excuse to block the people from reaching the common memorial site on Tuesday. The SL Police was claiming that there was a pandemic outbreak at a garments facility. In the morning, the news was leaked claiming that there were around 20 people who got infected. Later, especially after the court ruled favouring the collective memorial event to proceed with covid measures, the SL military and the police raised the figures to around 200 infections in the area and started to isolate two divisions covering the monument site, Ananthi said.

Before desecration
Before desecration: Mu'l'livaaykkaal Common Memorial Square
After desecration
After desecration, photographed on 13 May 2021




The intelligence wing, the SL military and the SL Police were allegedly sabotaging the collective memorial already on 12 May. In an audio-recorded interview with TamilNet on 13 May 2021, Fr Leo Armstrong blamed the SL military and the intelligence personnel. He was citing local news reports as the source.

They were behind the “shocking and inhuman” destruction and desecration of the memorial square and removing the heavy monument stone, which was being transported from Jaffna to Mu’l’livaaykkaal.

Ananthi was also pointing at the SL military as being the culprits behind the desecration. She said there were many heavy boot prints in the soil as witnessed in the photos.

Before desecration
Before desecration: Mu'l'livaaykkaal Common Memorial Square
After desecration
After desecration, photographed on 13 May 2021


A photograph of the declaration stone that has been removed from reaching the remembrance square on
The missing memorial stone: A photograph of the memorial stone brought from Jaffna by a group of Catholic priests has been removed from reaching the remembrance square on 12 May 2021
The memorial stone, which was removed allegedly by the SL military, contains four point demands in Tamil, initially issued on the occasion of the 10th Remembrance Day declaration. The 2019 Declaration contains the following five demands in English. The Tamil version contains all of them in four demands:
  • To strengthen the call to refer Sri Lanka to the International criminal court (ICC) for the crimes perpetrated by the Sri Lankan state, especially genocide;
  • To demand for the Tamil people in Sri Lanka, the recognition of the Tamil nation and its inalienable right to political autonomy on the basis of our people’s distinct sovereignty and inalienable right to self-determination;
  • To call for the North-East merger, the territorial habitation of the Tamils because it is this very existence that the Sri Lanka State wishes to destroy through the genocide and structural genocide of the Tamils;
  • To prevent the structural genocide unleashed on the collective existence of Tamils;
  • To strengthen social structures in the North-East in order to take the struggle for Tamil collective rights forward;






After desecration
After desecration
After desecration
After desecration
After desecration
After desecration


Related Articles:
18.05.20   Occupying SL military desecrates Remembrance Day candles, ha..
18.05.20   Remembrance event urges Tamils to own justice project, estab..
18.05.19   May 18 declared as Awakening Day of Tamil Nation against Gen..
14.07.16   SL Commander of 58 Division twists lists at Mullaiththeevu M..

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=39977