Tamil Judge sought for Mylanthanai Case

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 01 December 1999, 18:45 GMT]
A landmark murder trial involving 21 Sri Lanka Army (SLA) soldiers attached to the Punanai Army camp indicted for massacring 35 Tamil civilians, has been postponed until January 19, 2000 until a judge proficient in Tamil is appointed to try the case.

Colombo High Court Judge Chandra Ekanayaka said that it was preferable for a judge proficient in Tamil to hear this case as the proceedings of the inquest, and the notes relating to the identification parade, are in Tamil.

Senior State Counsel S. Thurairaja representing the Attorney General (AG) submitted that the prosecution had forwarded Sinhala translations of these records, and therefore the problems would be minimal.

Mr. Thurairaja continued that the Attorney General had already exercised the fiat on two occasions. Once it was to transfer the case from Batticaloa upon a request by the defence.

The Attorney General will now have to forward an application to the Chief Justice through the Judicial Service Commission to appoint a judge on the basis suggested by Court.

Senior defence Counsel Daya Perera (PC) submitted that his clients have asked for a trial before a Sinhala speaking jury. Therefore, the judge has to be proficient not only in Tamil, but must also be able to address the jury in Sinhala. There ought to be a compromise, somewhere, he concluded.

In the case, 21 SLA soldiers are indicted for massacring 35 Tamils, including a one-year-old baby, men and women at Mylanthanai on 2 August, 1992.

Initially there were 23 suspects at the non-summary proceedings. Thereafter, 21 of them were committed to High Court for trial. Now, 19 of them stand trial as two of them are believed to be dead.

P. Kiri Banda, K.Weerasinghe, R.Bandara, Sunil Dasanayaka, S.Ratnayaka, K.Ranawera, A.Ranjith, J.Herath, Lal Samarawickrama, R.Janaka Priya, Nimal Karunaratne, K.Luxman, Priyantha Jegath, Nimal Edward, S.Rathnakara, A.Bandara, W.Kalagedera, L.Amerasinghe, Ajith Upali Bandara, Mudiyanalage Dasaratne are the accused in the case.


Related Articles:
18.11.98   Mylanthanai massacre case postponed

 

Latest 15 Reports
04.02.24 15:40   Photo
சியோனிசம் காணும் தோல்வி ஈழத்தமிழருக்குப் பலன் தரவல்ல படிமை மாற்றத்தின் அறிகுறி
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
09.04.21 14:46  
English version not available
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=4274