SC cancels police promotions by previous govt.

[TamilNet, Monday, 11 February 2002, 20:22 GMT]
The Supreme Court held Monday that the Inspector General of Police and the former Defence Ministry Secretary had violated the basic human rights of petitioners and ordered the cancellation of 34 promotions provided to police officers as Superintendents of Police by the previous regime. The fundamental rights petitions filed by 46 Assistant Superintendents of Police Monday came up for inquiry before a three member bench of the Supreme Court comprised Justices Mark Fernando (chairman) C.V.Vigneswaran and Asoka de Silva.

The petitioners had cited the former Secretary to the Ministry of Defense Mr.Chandrananda de Silva, Inspector General of Police Mr.Lucky Koddituwakku and the three members of the Board of Interview Messrs A.A Ranjit, S.A.Senaretna and Ramesh Jayasinghe, all were officials of the Ministry of Defence.

The petitioners stated in their applications that their basic fundamental rights had been violated by the respondents by providing promotions to junior officers in the police service.

Delivering the order cancelling the 34 promotions of police officers provided by the previous government, the Supreme Court directed the present government to hold fresh interviews and to make new appointments before May 31, this year.

The Supreme Court further ordered that the petitioners should be paid Rs 490,000/= as compensation. Of this amount the Inspector General of Police and Chandrananda de Silva, former Secretary to the Ministry of Defense should pay five thousand rupees each to petitioners. The State should pay three hundred thousand rupees as compensation. Three members of the Board of Interview which selected the 34 police officers for promotions should pay the petitioners sixty thousand rupees as compensation from their own money, the Supreme Court in its order said.

The SC further ordered the officers concerned to consider the possibility of framing bribery charges against the Inspector General of Police and the former Secretary to the Ministry of Defence in this regard.

 

Latest 15 Reports
17.05.21 19:23   Photo
Ananthi blames war criminal Silva for blocking collective memorial at Mu'l'livaaykkaal
23.03.21 12:41   Photo
No focus on Tamil genocide, geopolitics gets played out in Geneva in favour of QUAD formation
21.03.21 13:34   Photo
Navi Pillay explains ‘human rights’ limitations in Geneva on Tamil genocide
15.03.21 20:36   Photo
Deceived Tamil activists in UK falsely claimed ‘substantial changes’ to Zero draft
09.03.21 21:34   Photo
UK repeatedly wronged Tamils says hunger-striker, demands genocide justice
26.02.21 11:53   Photo
Tamils witness false dilemma in Geneva as geopolitical formations pit against each other
19.02.21 14:02   Photo
UK not prepared to push for ICC option in new UNHRC Resolution
07.02.21 23:16   Photo
Unprecedented P2P uprising paves the way for rights-oriented politics of Tamils and Muslims
22.01.21 08:01   Photo
Gotabaya sets up deceptive COI citing ‘sovereignty’ and ‘non-aligned’ foreign policy
18.01.21 23:44   Photo
Tamil activists resisted three sources of outside influence while drafting demands to UNHRC
16.01.21 11:03  
Tamil national parties demand UN to inquire into crime of genocide and set up IIIM
09.01.21 09:37   Photo
Demolition of Tamil genocide monument, fourth emblematic trauma since 1974: Rev Fr Sakthivel
08.01.21 23:51   Photo
Colombo destroys Mu'l'livaaykkaal memorial monument at Jaffna University
07.01.21 11:22   Photo
With emphasis on genocide, Suresh calls for ICC-referral, IIIM and referendum
07.01.21 00:04   Photo
Boyle prefers IIIM demand over ICC-referral, says specific reference to genocide essential
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=6696