‘Indian Minister’s visit to SL historic’ - Peiris

[TamilNet, Thursday, 14 August 2003, 18:56 GMT]
The Sri Lankan government’s cabinet spokesman, Mr. G.L.Peiris, said Thursday that the proposed visit of the Indian Foreign Minister, Mr.Yaswant Sinha, to Colombo next week would be 'historic.' Replying to a question at the weekly press briefing, Mr.Peiris, who is also the government’s Chief negotiator in the peace talks, said that there would not be any problem in obtaining Indian assistance to the present peace process, media sources said.

According to these sources, the LTTE is to hold discussions with its constitutional experts and legal advisors regarding the interim administrative structure proposal submitted by the United National Front government in Paris, capital of France, from August 21 to 27, said Mr.Peiris.

Mr Peiris in reply to question dismissed as totally baseless reports in a section of the local press that the Sri Lankan government was to bring foreign peacekeeping forces into the country.

The French government has informed Colombo that it has made the necessary arrangements to host the LTTE deliberations in Paris, Mr.Peiris said.

Mr.Peiris said that the LTTE would submit its response to the Sri Lankan government three weeks after it concluded Paris talks on the IA proposal.

He expressed confidence that it would be possible to resume the peace talks, stalled since April this year, by the end of September, sources said.

On the Kurankupanchan LTTE camp issue, Mr. Peiris said that the UNF government’s view has been conveyed to the LTTE through the Norwegian special peace envoy. He added that the LTTE camp had been constructed in the government-controlled area.

He said both parties to the ceasefire agreement should adhere to the determination of the Sri Lanka Monitoring Mission in any controversial issue, and he said that according to the SLMM, the LTTE has not made a final decision on the issue.

Meanwhile, the Chief of Staff of the Sri Lanka Army, Major General Lohan Gunawardene, said at the press briefing that the SLA has no plan to remove LTTE camp by using force because it would derail the peace process.

The Army’s top officer further said that a 30% salary increase has been proposed to army soldiers of all ranks. He said the SLA would recruit another batch of 4000 soldiers and the interviews for the recruiting are to be held from August 18, the media reports said.

 

Latest 15 Reports
14.07.20 22:14  
SL Navy ‘updates’ records of ex-LTTE members in Moothoor East
13.07.20 16:30  
Sonia-Rahul’s Congress advocates India strengthening US-led “Quad” alliance
12.07.20 10:04  
Sinhala Police OIC hit Tamil women with vehicle for opposing monks-led heritage ‘task force’
11.07.20 03:40   Photo
CBK, Kadirgamar condemned at Navaali genocidal massacre remembrance event
10.07.20 00:05   Photo
SL Police harasses Shivajilingam at 25th Remembrance of Navaali massacre in Jaffna
09.07.20 09:33  
SL Navy brutally assaults Tamil fishers in Mullaith-theevu
08.07.20 16:33   Photo
Sinhala colonists encroach into Kangku-veali, Mean-kamam reservoirs in Trincomalee
07.07.20 19:36   Photo
Colombo schemes to expand ilmenite scooping into North from Pulmoaddai in East
06.07.20 19:06  
Colombo transfers Tamil Political Prisoners to notorious Anuradhapura prison
05.07.20 23:06   Photo
University students, Shivajilingam brave SL harassment to commemorate fallen Black Tigers
04.07.20 22:28   Photo
Monk commanding Sinhala-Buddhicisation of North-East threatens Tamil villagers in Batticaloa
03.07.20 19:28   Photo
After Naavat-kuzhi, Colombo targets Poonakari for Sinhala colonisation across Jaffna lagoon
02.07.20 22:26  
Colombo imposes restrictions on Tamil valour related symbolism in schools of North
01.07.20 13:22  
New secret unit among four SL military and police squads competing to arrest Tamil youth in North
30.06.20 22:10  
Tamils blocked from accessing properties near SL Navy training base in Champoor, Trincomalee
 
Find this article at:
http://www.tamilnet.com/art.html?catid=13&artid=9645