6640 matching reports found. Showing 221 - 240
<< prev   - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 -   next >>

US-trained commander of SL military steps up surveillance on Jaffna University

[TamilNet, Saturday, 15 November 2014, 09:37 GMT]
The commander of the occupying military of genocidal Sri Lanka in Jaffna, Major General Udaya Perera, who was trained and awarded in the US Army War College in 2012, after his role in the genocidal onslaught in 2009 followed by counter-insurgency foreign service, is engaged in creating fear psychosis among the Tamil youth, ex-LTTE members and the civil society in North before Tamil Heroes Day, Tamil activists in Jaffna say. Two ‘surveillance centers’ have been created near the University of Jaffna in recent days at Naachchimaar koayil and at Kaladdi Junction, obtaining civilian houses within 500 meters and one km from the university premises. The primary task given to the intelligence operatives is to block activists and students from marking Tamil Heroes Day on November 27.
Full story >>

SL military fabricates evidences to distort Mannaar assassination, say residents

[TamilNet, Saturday, 15 November 2014, 08:20 GMT]
Ve’l’laangku’lam residents on Saturday denied Sri Lankan police reports that sought to fabricate evidence and distort the facts about Nakuleswaran, who was assassinated on Wednesday. The Sri Lankan military intelligence and the SL police have been trying to fabricate a story that the ex-LTTE member and former Tamil Eelam policeman Nakuleswaran was slain due to personal grudges, the residents said. On Friday, the Sri Lankan police claimed that two T-56 rifles had been located and four persons involved in a gang had been detained. In the meantime, Ilangkai Thamizh Arasuk Kadchi (ITAK) youth wing secretary S.V. Sivakaran in Mannaar told TamilNet that Mr Nakuleswaran was not an active supporter or member of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA).
Full story >>

Missing Tamil located after 23 years of incarceration in South

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 12 November 2014, 22:45 GMT]
A Tamil man who was reported missing twenty three years ago following a bomb explosion in 1991 at Armor Street Junction in Colombo is said to have been located in a detention camp in the South. The victim, K. Vairvanathan, from Chu’n’naakam in Jaffna is now 53. Both his parents, who have been searching for him, have passed away. After searching for their son for several years, both the parents had come to the conclusion that Vairavanathan was also killed in the bomb explosion, legal sources in Colombo told TamilNet.
Full story >>

Colombo attempts to seize lands of Sivan temple in Ampaa’rai

[TamilNet, Friday, 07 November 2014, 20:40 GMT]
Sri Lankan Archaeology Department officials, with the backing of the occupying military and police, have been attempting to seize lands belonging to a 75-year-old Siva temple and lands that belong to Eezham Tamils at Va’laththaap-piddi in Chammaanthu’rai division of Ampaa’rai district, says Eastern Provincial Councillor M. Rajeswaran. Following complaints from the people, the EPC councillor went to the spot on Tuesday and confronted the Archaeology Department official who was claiming access to the land with a Gazette notice issued by the genocidal State of Sri Lanka.
Full story >>

Tamil Nadu researcher testifies to OISL on Indian complicity in genocide

[TamilNet, Monday, 03 November 2014, 23:43 GMT]
Vijayshankar Asokan“While several actors including US, UK, China, UN involved in different ways in the conflict in Sri Lanka which led to genocide of Eelam Tamils, the actor most severely and the most consistently perplexed in the Sri Lankan war has been India,” says University of Bergen Research Fellow, Vijayshankar Asokan in a submission he sent on “Indian complicity in the genocide of Eezham Tamils” to OHCHR investigation on Sri Lanka. A native of Tamil Nadu and studying in Norway since 2008, Mr. Vijayshankar in his submission was extensively citing Mr. Ku. Ramakrishnan, General Secretary of Periyar Dravidar Kazhakam, Mr. Erik Solheim, the failed peace facilitator and various reports as well as statements.
Full story >>

UN urged to secure release of arrested eyewitness in Ki'linochchi

[TamilNet, Monday, 27 October 2014, 23:35 GMT]
57-year-old Sinnathamby Krishnarajah, who was detained by the Sri Lankan CID in Ki’linochchi on Saturday and taken to Vavuniyaa and from there to Colombo by the Sri Lankan Terrorist Investigation Division (TID) was arrested while he was copying forms from the Internet for producing affidavit about his daughter who was reported missing at the final stage, according his family. Tamil National Alliance (TNA) spokesman Suresh Premachandran and the Tamil National Peoples Front (TNPF) General Secretary Selvarajah Kajendren have urged the UN to ensure the release of the father of six from the Sri Lankan TID.
Full story >>

Palestine and Eezham Tamils: The Hindu group's double standard

[TamilNet, Monday, 06 October 2014, 07:24 GMT]
The Hindu group and its associates known for their bias and bigotry towards the issues of genocide and independence of Eezham Tamils, and towards the LTTE-led militant struggle of the recent past, have now reiterated their stand on Palestine, endorsing Hamas as the resistance force representing the people of Gaza. As a response to the recent Israeli military offensive against the people of Gaza, The Hindu and associates have been rallying public opinion in favour of the Palestinian struggle. In two separate events organized in Chennai in Tamil Nadu, the affluent Hindu clique has vehemently condemned Israel and termed its acts against the Palestinians as war crimes and demanded India to take a more vocal stand against Israel, writes a media watcher in Chennai.
Full story >>

Kurds defend Kobane from Islamic State onslaught supported by Turkey

[TamilNet, Friday, 03 October 2014, 10:28 GMT]
The Islamic State (IS) supported by the Turkish state has since 15th September heavily intensified their military onslaught against the Kurdish people and their self-rule government in the region of Kobane in Rojava (Western Kurdistan) in Northern Syria. Following the brutal three pronged IS military assault to capture Kobane more than two hundred thousand Kurdish civilians were forced to flee to the Turkish border. The Turkish border which had hitherto been used unhindered by the IS to infiltrate into Kobane to attack the Kurds had now been closed to weaken the Kurdish resistance. Nevertheless recent information from Rojava reports that the Kurdish resistance is growing as the IS has suffered heavy causalities in battling the Kurdish Peoples Protection Units (YPG/YPJ) defending the region.
Full story >>

Tamils denied of observing collective remembrance in Batticaloa

[TamilNet, Thursday, 25 September 2014, 16:11 GMT]
Sri Lankan Police in Batticaloa has been harassing the families of the victims of 1990 Puthukkudiyiruppu massacre on Sunday when they gathered to observe the annual memorial event in front of the statue of 17 civilians who were slain by ‘homeguards’ paramilitary operated by the Sri Lankan military in 1990. Tamil Councillor K. Thurairajasingam, who was present at the event with parliamentarians P. Selvarasa and P. Ariyanethiran blames that the SL Police was blocking the peaceful event with a court order from an Acting Magistrate. This is the second incident in recent days where the SL Police, under false charges of ‘causing disturbance to peace’, has blocked the kith and kin of the victims of the past massacres from paying tribute to their slain victims by lighting candles together.
Full story >>

SL military deploys intimidation, deception in East to suppress testimonies to OISL

[TamilNet, Sunday, 14 September 2014, 22:17 GMT]
The intelligence operatives of the occupying Sri Lankan military are exploiting the poverty-stricken Tamil youth from the temporary settlements of uprooted people from Champoor to spy on the activities going on among the uprooted people. The SL military, which has been providing alcohol and other drugs to the youth, have converted some of the young Tamils deprived of education and other facilities to work as spies for them. Former LTTE members have been two choices. They can either choose work for the SL military or face harassment from the SL military, the representatives of uprooted people in Ki’liveddi and Kaddai-pa’richchaan camps in Trincomalee told TamilNet.
Full story >>

Bringing OISL to NorthEast is IC responsibility: Tamil politicians

[TamilNet, Friday, 12 September 2014, 23:18 GMT]
Tamil politicians who met the British Deputy High Commissioner Lara Levis, who was on a trip to North and East, urged the diplomat to pass a message to her government and the international community to exert maximum pressure on Colombo to allow the Geneva-based OHCHR Investigation on Sri Lanka (OISL) to visit the homeland of Eelam Tamils in the North and East of the island. “The Deputy High Commissioner, who listened to our complaints on the human rights violations of the Tamil people, was silent. We urged her to impress upon her government and the international community to enable the OISL to visit the island,” TNA parliamentarian P Selvarasa from Batticaloa said.
Full story >>

SL military floats 5,000 cell phones for surveillance on Tamils in Batticaloa

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 09 September 2014, 16:30 GMT]
The military intelligence of occupying Sri Lanka has distributed more than 5,000 cell phones to selected Tamil civilians in former LTTE administered areas in Vaakarai and Paduvaan-karai regions of Batticaloa district in an attempt to convert the recipients of the SL military 'gift' into informants and collaborators. 3,000 of the mobile phones have been provided to women. In the meantime, ex-LTTE members are being harassed to report at the SL military camps and instructed to collaborate with the SL military if they wished to avoid 'future problems', civil sources in Vaakarai say.
Full story >>

SL military starts dismantling remaining houses in occupied Champoor

[TamilNet, Sunday, 07 September 2014, 23:11 GMT]
The occupying Sri Lankan military has started to destroy properties situated inside the so-called ‘Economic’ zone in Champoor in Trincomalee district, news sources in Moothoor told TamilNet on Sunday. The houses and wells have been bulldozed to the ground in an occupied residential area near Champoor Sri Paththirakaa’li Amman temple within the last few days, according to the land-owners. The SL military has started to dismantle the remaining buildings in Champoor as they did in Valikaamam North in Jaffna, the sources further said. At the same time, Colombo’s surveying department has been engaged in surveying the lands within the occupied zone.
Full story >>

Muslims protest against land grab in Pulmoaddai

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 26 August 2014, 22:04 GMT]
Tamil-speaking residents of Arisi-moaddai in Pulmoaddai situated in the north of Trincomalee district confronted the occupying Sri Lankan Police on Tuesday blocking the surveying of lands that are being taken over for the construction of a Buddhist vihara. A 54-year-old civilian, Abubakkar has been admitted at hospital with injuries, news sources in Pulmoaddai said. Stating that 500 acres of lands were being taken over for archaeological research, the SL State is seizing lands from Muslims in Pulmoaddai for the construction of a Buddhist site.
Full story >>

SL military deploys clustered-houses for Sinhala colonisation in Jaffna

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 19 August 2014, 23:34 GMT]
The occupying Sri Lankan military, which has fenced off several thousands of acres of lands belonging to Eezham Tamils and have bulldozed the public and private buildings, has now started to put up clustered houses, says Deputy Chairman of Valikaamam North Piratheasa Chapai (PS) Sageevan Sanmugalingam, who is also the president Valikaamam North Uprooted People’s Welfare Society. The people who have visited their properties along the line of the fence, which has been put up from Vasaavi’laan West to Achchuveali, also confirmed the report. SL military deployed clustered houses are visible from the fence bordering the occupied Sinhala Military Zone (SMZ) in Valikaamam North.
Full story >>

British officials held secretive Belfast meeting with Sri Lanka after Mu'l'livaaykkaal

[TamilNet, Sunday, 10 August 2014, 00:02 GMT]
UK government lawyers are claiming there are no minutes available from a controversial meeting held between British officials and a Sri Lankan military adviser at Belfast's Policing Board HQ one month after the genocidal onsluaght on Vanni in 2009. The revelation comes after a year-long legal battle to get full disclosure from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to a Freedom of Information request. The British government withdrew its national security exemptions just days before the matter was to due to be decided by a judge at the Information Tribunal. The Belfast meeting related to the deployment of two senior Northern Ireland police officers to Sri Lanka as “critical friends” of the regime during the final stages of the genocidal onslaught in 2009.
Full story >>

SL military steps up threats, harassment of Tamil councillors in North

[TamilNet, Saturday, 09 August 2014, 10:58 GMT]
The so-called white vans and motorbikes without number plates operated by the SL military intelligence have been deployed to monitor the movement of Tamil councillors in the Northern Provincial Council (NPC) in recent days, complain several members of the NPC. A prominent councillor, Ms Ananthy Sasitharan, recently lodged a complaint with Vadduk-koaddai Police complaining that white van and motorbike squads were chasing her round the clock, monitoring all her movements. In the name of investigating the complaint, the police went ahead with engineering false evidence that there were no reports of white van or motorbike squads in the area where she resides, TNA sources told TamilNet. The SL Defence Ministry was behind the recent withdrawal of police protection that was provided to some of NPC members, according to NPC Chairman CVK Sivagnanam.
Full story >>

Clashes intensify between Kurds and Islamists in South Kurdistan

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 06 August 2014, 19:58 GMT]
The Peshmerga fighters of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) of South Kurdistan are engaged in fierce clashes with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) even as the Islamists have made some inroads into Kurdish territories. The fighting now has reached the Kurdish regional capital of Erbil in North Iraq, Reuters reported on Wednesday. The gains of the Islamists have put religious minorities like Christians and Yazidi Kurds at high risk, even as media reports that ISIS has vowed to clear “infidels” from the areas occupied. Vian Dakhil, a Yazidi MP, addressing the Iraqi Parliament on Tuesday, emotively raised a plea for greater assistance for her community. “As we speak there is a genocide taking place against the Yazidis,” she said. Kurds are also disappointed at the collective silence of the International Community.
Full story >>

British-trained STF brings night terror back to Jaffna streets

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 30 July 2014, 20:42 GMT]
The STF, trained by the British, which is a full-fledged military outfit under the SL Police and was directly engaged in acts of genocide in the East as well as in Vanni during the war, has started arbitrary arrests in Jaffna peninsula during the night time. Tamil youths are being detained for being spotted on the streets without identity papers in their own villages and towns. The civilian freedom of movement has been severely restricted and the people are again afraid to move around after 8:00 p.m. A so-called ‘Zonal Commander’ of the STF has been appointed for Jaffna peninsula, receiving direct instructions from the SL Military Establishment, informed sources said.
Full story >>

6,000 families in Poaratheevup-pattu, Batticaloa, suffer without potable water

[TamilNet, Monday, 28 July 2014, 22:33 GMT]
2,219 Tamil civilians are still residing in temporary huts and 747 families lack permanent housing in 43 Village (GS) Divisions of Poaratheevup-pattu Divisional Secretariat (DS) division in Batticaloa district, according to Divisional Secretary N. Vilvaratnam. The families have suffered not only from the genocidal onslaught, but also from the seasonal flooding and draught. 5,602 families have no access to toilets, according to the statistics from the divisional secretary. “This is the development brought to Batticaloa by the genocidal State and its Mahinda Chinthana,” a Tamil official who didn’t wish to be named commented providing the figures to TamilNet on Monday.
Full story >>
<< prev   - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 -   next >>

 

Latest 15 Reports
21.09.24 16:12   Photo
JVP always denied Eezham Tamils’ inalienable self-determination: Anthropology scholar
18.09.24 21:30   Photo
Sinhala leftists need careful perusal of Lenin’s definition of Right to Self-Determination
30.08.24 15:27   Photo
Viraj exposed West’s criminalization of Tamil struggle
30.08.24 09:08  
‘பொதுச்சபை’ நகர்வை ‘சிவில் சமூக அமையம்’ தரும் படிப்பினைகளின் கண்கொண்டு நோக்குதல்
20.08.24 17:59   Photo
Viraj teaches Zone of Peace, Peace Process, Crimes Against Peace
18.08.24 21:23   Photo
Viraj Mendis: A beacon of international solidarity and a pillar in the Eelam-Tamil liberation struggle
18.08.24 16:47   Photo
Viraj in Tamil Radical Politics
18.08.24 11:27  
மூலோபாயத்தையும் தந்திரோபாயத்தையும் தொலைத்த தேர்தல் அரசியலைத் திருத்த இயலுமா?
17.08.24 12:15   Photo
விராஜ் மெண்டிஸ் விட்டுச் செல்லும் நிரப்பவியலா இடைவெளி
04.02.24 15:40   Photo
சியோனிசம் காணும் தோல்வி ஈழத்தமிழருக்குப் பலன் தரவல்ல படிமை மாற்றத்தின் அறிகுறி
24.04.22 05:44  
தீவின் நெருக்கடிச் சூழலில் ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசம் கடைப்பிடிக்கவேண்டிய நிலைப்பாடுகள்
09.04.22 14:44   Photo
குறிதவறும் ஈழத்தமிழர் தலைமைகளுக்கு வரலாறு தருகின்ற எச்சரிக்கை
21.01.22 07:24   Photo
ஈழத்தமிழர் தேசத்தின் தலைமைத்துவம் தேர்தல் அரசியற் கட்சிகளுக்கு அப்பாலானது
02.11.21 15:32   Photo
13 ஆம் சட்டத்திருத்தத்தால் கட்டமைக்கப்பட்ட இன அழிப்பை எதிர்கொள்ள முடியுமா?
15.09.21 08:19  
English version not available